So you want to install WordPress on Windows using WAMP Server? the solution is very simple and it shouldn’t take more than 10 steps. However, before starting out you should be clear why you want to install the WordPress on your local system? the answer will give you clarity on your objective.
For me, I installed WordPress on my windows machine to troubleshoot a few known issue with the software and get used to the popular CMS solution. So, let’s dive in on a step by step guide on installing WordPress on Windows or on your local system.
What is WampServer?
WAMP stands for Windows, Apache, MySQL, and PHP. WampServer is an exclusive Windows hosting and web development environment platform.WAMP allows you to create web applications with Apache, PHP, and a MySQL database. WampServer also includes the database phpMyAdmin which allows you to easily create and manage your databases.
Remember using a local version of WordPress on your computer will surely help you build and test your website, themes, and plugins before putting it online. If you are a techie and want to test out a few technical functionalities of WordPress, a local installation would surely help.
WampServer Only for Windows?
Yes, WAMP server is available only for windows at this moment. Are you looking for Mac version? I will recommend another similar software called xampp for mac. Just to note, XAMPP is also available for windows. Let’s talk more on WAMP server more in this post.
Step 1: Download and Install WampServer
Wampserver is available in both 32 and 64 bit. Make sure you select the correct installer for your version of Windows. Wampserver is not compatible with Windows XP, SP3, or Windows Server 2003. The latest version of WampServer can be found here http://www.wampserver.com/en/
Navigate to your downloads folder and find the WampServer installation file. Double click the file to start the installation process. It’s best to leave everything at the default settings. You do have the option of choosing a preferred text editor and web browser. I personally use Notepad++ and Google Chrome because these are better for web developers and also for end-users.
Anyways, once you have downloaded and installed the WampServer on your Windows PC, the next thing which you gonna wanna do is setup a Database for your WordPress Setup. So let us now take a look at the steps which you need to follow in order to do so.
Step 2: Setting up a Database for Local WordPress Setup
Once you have installed the Wamp Server on your Windows PC, you need to follow these steps in order to set up a database on your local WampServer:
- First of all, you need to click on the Green Wamp Server Icon which you can find in the tray of your taskbar. However, do note that, if the Icon is Red or Yellow, then you need to click on Start All Services option in order to start the service.
- Now, you need to click on the phpMyAdmin option which will take you to the phpMyAdmin Panel on your browser.
- Here, type in root in the user field and leave the password field empty.
- Click on the Go button in order to log in to the phpMyAdmin.
- Once you are logged in, you need to click on the Databases tab.
- Here, create a new database, just give it any name ( why not wordpress) which you like and click on Create.
- You are doing a great job, let us now take a look at step in which we will be actually installing WordPress on Windows Using WAMP.
Step 3: Installing WordPress using WAMP
Here are the steps which you need to follow to download and install WordPress on your Local WAMP Server.
- First of all, you need to go to the Official WordPress.org website and click on the Get WordPress button.
- Once you have downloaded the WordPress zip file, extract the WordPress folder to the folder where you installed WAMP. For instance, if you have installed Wamp to C:/wamp64, then simply extract the folder inside C:\wamp64\www folder.
- Also, you can rename the WordPress to anything you like.
- Once done, you need to go to http://localhost/wordpress/ on your browser. Make sure that you replace the “wordpress” with the folder name. (if renamed to something else).
- On the WordPress installation page, click on Let’s go button.
- Type in the database name which you set in Step 2, type in root in the user field and localhost in the Database host field.
- Once done, click on Submit button.
- Finally, click on the Run the installation button and enter the credentials for your WordPress website.
- Once done, click on the Install WordPress button.
- That’s it! You have successfully installed WordPress on your Wamp Server.
To complete the WordPress installation on a Wamp Server, you need to save the permalinks settings. Also, if you are facing-Page not found an error on your pages, then doing this will solve them. Here are the steps which you need to follow:
- Log in to your WordPress website as an Administrator.
- Go to Settings » Permalinks and choose the Post Name option.
- Once done, save the changes and you should be good to go.
Summary & Conclusion
So that’s it guys, this was our take on How to Install WordPress on Windows using WAMP Server | Simple Steps. We hope that this guide helped you in kickstarting your online career with WordPress. Just in case if you are stuck between the steps or had any questions related to the topic, then feel free to leave them in the comments section down below.
I would be interested to know , what are you doing to start your journey in WordPress or where are you in the digital marketing field. Do not worry, if things are not working for you, it didn’t for me or for us, just comment out and we will figure out for you.
Relevant tutorial on how to start a WordPress Blog